The thumbnail version:
- More precise, succinct advice from the BDC
- A marketing strategy in seven steps
The full version:
Here are the seven elements of a marketing strategy per the BDC:
- Conduct a survey: Establish who your target customers are and what they want from your shop.
- Pamper your existing customers: It’s said to be five times easier to sell to an existing customer than to acquire a new customer. Look after your existing customers.
- Commit to online marketing: The internet provides a 24-hour marketing channel. Make sure that you use it. Is your website up to date?
- Use all your real estate: Signs and banners on your shop front and your business vehicle help to promote your brand. But remember to focus on what you do, not on your name.
- Work at public relations: A media story costs less and is more credible than an advertisement. Build relationships with the media.
- Turn employees into ambassadors: Your employees fan out into the community after work. Encourage them to talk up your business.
- Give back: Find a way to give back to your customer community. It generates goodwill which generates business.
These are all good items to pursue and use to your shop’s advantage.