- Word of mouth is an effective marketing tool
- But your customer service must be top notch
- A lapse in customer service can see word of mouth work against you
Word of mouth is an effective and inexpensive business builder so you want customers to tell other people about your great customer service. In fact word, encouraging word of mouth should be a key element of your marketing strategy. If more businesses spent some of the time they waste on social media obsessively looking for “exposure” and instead focused on promoting word of mouth recommendations, they’d see better returns.
However, word of mouth can be a two-edged sword. It can work against your business too if a customer’s experience is less than great. Remember, unhappy customers are just as capable of talking as happy ones.
So, here’s a reminder of a list of qualities needed for providing great customer service. How does your shop measure up?:
- Top notch communication skills
- Good listening skills
- A willingness to take ownership of customer problems
- Good, polite manners
- Product knowledge
- Adaptability and creativity
Customers talk. The question is, what are they going to say about your shop? You don’t want word of mouth marketing to backfire on you!